The majority of ELC students study on one of the following 3 visas.

  • 1 – Working Holiday visa

    Australia has a reciprocal arrangement with a number of countries for Working Holiday visas as well as Work and Holiday visas. If you hold a passport from one of these countries and are aged between 18 and 31 years old then you could qualify.

    A Working Holiday visa allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter the country. During your stay you can study for up to 4 months (17 weeks) and take up short-term employment of not more than 6 months with any one employer.

    On this visa, you will be able to join any of ELC’s work programs, including Student Work Assistance Program (SWAP)Professional InternshipConservation Volunteering and other work preparation programs.
    We recommend that you join Work and Travel Company (WTC), ELC’s sister company. WTC is a dedicated Working Holiday agency, offering the widest range of services to cater for your needs all along your Working Holiday year.

    Countries which currently have this arrangement with Australia are:

    Working Holiday visa: Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany,  Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta,  Netherlands, Norway,  Sweden, Taiwan and  United Kingdom with more countries to join the scheme soon.

    Visit the DIAC website for more information or to apply: 

    Work and Holiday visa: Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA  and Uruguay.

    Visit the DIAC website for more information or to apply: 

    Applicants holding passports from other countries are not eligible and should opt for another visa, such as a student visa or a visitor visa.

  • 2 – Student visa

    Students coming to study English for over 3 months generally apply for a student visa.

    In Australia, student visa holders must maintain more than 80% attendance at their school and may work for up to 20 hours per week on average. (Maximum 40 hours over a 2-week period).

    On this visa, you will be able to join our dedicated Student Work Assistance Program (SWAP). This program is specifically designed to help students at school look for a part-time job to help support themselves during their studies. It is free of charge for all students!

    In addition, there are a number of other work preparation programs you will be able to join while you are at school.

    After the end of your English course or during your holiday periods, you would be able to join our Conservation Volunteering program for a few weeks. Alternatively, some students apply for a subsequent visa to qualify for other programs, such as a longer Conservation Volunteering program or a Professional Internship. Conditions apply.

    Visit the DIAC website for more information or to apply: 

  • 3 – Visitor visa

    Students coming to Australia for sightseeing and to study English for a few weeks only generally apply for a visitor visa. This visa allows you to travel in Australia and study (maximum 3 months) as well as volunteer in non-for-profit organizations.

    On this visa, you will be able to join our Conservation Volunteering program. You will not be allowed to undertake paid work or carry out a professional internship. You will however be welcome to attend our SWAP sessions or join other work preparation programs to gain new skills and improve your CV and job prospects upon returning home or on your next travels.

    Visit the DIAC website for more information or to apply: